Sunday 18 October 2015

AURICULAS, A GREENHOUSE, THE GARDEN AND A VISIT TO THE BEACH


After a month of rushing around, the suggestion to go to the beach for the weekend wasn't really tempting as all I wanted to do was stay put.  Once we got there however,   it was like balm to the soul.  Perfect weather,  quiet empty beaches and that wonderful sea air.  After three nights,  I returned home really refreshed.



We experienced an extremely cold winter this year  and because I have so many plants in pots,  some of which are tender,  we decided that a small greenhouse would be a welcome addition to our garden.  Our builder, Wes has taken on the task of building it.  We have decided to site it beneath a huge Hymalian Cedar in the corner of our garden.  The Cedar is an old tree and we will need to get an arborist in to trim out all of the dead wood.  I'll post some photos once it is installed.

The plants that really suffered in the winter were my Auriculas.  Known to be tricky,  they really hated being outside during the icy months.  The European growers keep them in the greenhouse until they flower and then bring them out until Autumn.  The pleasure of seeing some of them flower this year has been enormous!  Soon, it will be time to divide them up and re-pot them.  Their flowers last on the little plants for ages and they are so beautiful.  Watering them is also tricky.  They dislike getting their leaves wet,  so a watering can with a long nozzle is the answer.  This takes time!!!  














The summer garden is slowly emerging.  The foxgloves are flowering as well as the Iris.  The Clematis blooms have opened and I'm hoping that the roses will start this week.  The Aquilegia are lovely and seem taller this year.













The other news is that I've finally had the living room wallpapered.  Subtle, but lovely I think.



This gorgeous Orchid lasted for four months!
Have a great week everyone!



19 comments:

  1. thanks for the walk in the garden Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the garden pics. It's looking so beautiful Jenny. Also love the wallpaper (as I think you know from my enthusiastic insta response!) It just looks absolutely perfect with your sofa (which I also love -the button detail is gorgeous) and art.
    You have so much blooming already in the garden, I can't imagine any more with the roses about to start too! It certainly doesn't look like a garden planted only 2 years ago. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first rose bloomed today! I think there is an enormous bursting forth about to happen this week Heidi!... It's too exciting for words!.... The perennials are looking far more established this year but the buxus is yet to join up - and this is where you can tell it's only 2 years old! Thanks so much Heidi

      Delete
  3. Truly inspiring Jenny. The garden is gorgeous and I love the wallpaper. I always look forward to your posts. Thanks for inspiring and sharing with us. Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for such kind comments Tracey! I love to be inspired and sharing ideas is what I love to do. xxx

      Delete
  4. I love all your flowers! Your home and garden are gorgeous!
    We had a green house installed this weekend and I am so excited to start sowing seeds and over wintering tender plants...next Spring we will plant tomatoes and cucumbers and maybe dabble in melons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I saw a photo of your greenhouse on your Insta!... it's so exciting planning what to do in the greenhouse and especially to have somewhere for tender plants to rest in winter. I look forward to seeing photos of your vegetables next spring. Thanks so much for stopping by.. xx

      Delete
  5. Beautiful blog full of inspiration and envy. Tomatoe plants have been purchased and will be planted out tomorrow with a few other things I love the garden even though mine is small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lesley - no matter how tiny a garden is - even just a couple of pots, there is always pleasure to be gained from tending them. Thanks so much for stopping by xx

      Delete
  6. So beautiful Jenny- I really enjoy your photos of your home and garden and watch it develop. Such elegant and beautiful taste you have. The garden has cetainly matured and I can see it gives you a lot of joy. I am also certainly impressed with your Auriculas- very successful, the flowers almost look like porcelain. I Look forward to next years display.
    Have a lovely week and thank you for sharing your home. Great inspiration
    Marilyn xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn!.. Thank you for your gorgeous comments! You should try growing Auriculas as they would grow in your cold climate - I can't tell you how much joy they have given me. Please let me know if you ever venture down this way as I would love to meet you again. xxx

      Delete
    2. Will certainly let you know if we are ever up in Bowral - would love to see you again and see your beautiful home and garden. Just might give the Auriculas a go as we are definitely have cold winters in Murrindindi.!!!! xxMarilyn

      Delete
  7. Your garden is a visual treat, which you share so generously. I especially love the closeups on IG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Noreen... such a kind comment. xx

      Delete
  8. I love everything! the wall paper is beautiful. You are clever x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The beach is such a soothing place. I think your garden and home are divine. Thank you for continuing to share and inspire.XX

    ReplyDelete
  10. So lovely! If I didn't know better I would have thought your potted plants were porcelain. And the wallpaper, perfect! So glad to find your blog! Xx Rié | Portobello Design Blog

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...